Adding another 30 amp on IP38

• Sailbatical
  • Sailbatical's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago #3342 by Sailbatical
Adding another 30 amp on IP38 was created by Sailbatical
I need to add another 30 amp inlet on my IP 38. Presently I am running a new CRUISEAIR 16BTU turbo air conditioner, a Xantrax 60 amp battery charger and a Kuma Water heater. Even with vigilant energy management, I am
Still drawing too many amps for a single inlet. My question is .... Where can I relocate a dual 30 Amp inlet port? There is not enough room at the present location next to the helm seat. I would like to install the inlet on the starboard side house where the IP name plate is presently but I'm concerned that it is too close to the propane locker according to ABYC standards. Any ideas???
Terri Ivins
Sailbatical
1989 IP 38

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #3344 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Re: Adding another 30 amp on IP38
Terri,

This may not be important/or related to your boat - but on our 1995 IP 40 the basic 30 AMP inlet is on the starboard side about 4'? from the propane locker. When I added the second 30 AMP inlet for our AC I was emotionally ready for a terrible day's work in the North Carolina August heat snaking another set of 30 AMP lines from my new 30 AMP plug up thru an impossible blind location to get to a location by the existing 30 AMP plug.

But what a surprise, when IP built the boat they put the spare 30 AMP wiring in place. So it was a much easier job, gotta love IP. This was clearly documented in the owners manual in the ac wiring diagram - - but, of course Real Men don't read the book. So.... you might look and see if the factory put spare wiring in there next to the existing plug - -it will save you a lot of grief.

George
SV Delicia

More
9 years 8 months ago #3347 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Re: Adding another 30 amp on IP38
Terri:
On our IP35-165, 1994 model, the factory installed 1 30 amp plug and breaker on the port side outside of the cockpit combing forward end of cockpit. That is because the below decks electrical panel is right there just forward a bit on this port side. Then when we added AC, our installer simply placed the second plug and breaker right next this this one and ran the power down to the AC unit. That new 30 amp is only for the AC line.

This looks funny as I have 4 covers there. Two plugs and two breakers on/off.

This has worked well.

So, I would look were you AC unit will be mounted below, then look for the closest place to install the wiring. The sail locker is always easy to access and run wires, maybe there.

I also like George's info, maybe you have a spare factory set pre-run. We did not.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

Moderators: shawnee
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

We have 1128 guests and no members online

Disclaimer

Sincerely,

The International IPYOA administration team.