Username Password: Remember me

REPLACING STANDING RIGGING
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: REPLACING STANDING RIGGING

REPLACING STANDING RIGGING 2 years ago #1299

• bbowman294
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a question (that will probably get both ends of the spectrum for an answer(s)). So here goes:

I own Island Packet 29-10 (TRINITY) and I want to replace/have someone replace the standing rigging.
So I have four options I'm considering:

1) Replace it size for size with new swaged fittings, wire, etc.
2) Replace it with swageless fittinngs size for size.
3) Replace it with swageless fittings with one size wire (1/4") so that I only need to carry one size wire and parts as spares.
4) Replace it (OK here we go....) with 1/4" Dyneema all the way around. The 1/4" Dyneema is stronger than the 1/4" wire that is the largest size on the boat now.

If all the rigging is replaced with the same size wire/Dyneema, the tension on each would be set at the same tension recommended for the size wire it is replacing. Is this reasonable/practical? I've "heard of" cruisers replacing their standing rigging with the same size wire/Dyneema. Anyone out there with some personal experience? Any riggers out there with some experience with any of this?

I have seen Dyneema on a Westsail 32 at the Annapolis Sailboat show several years ago, so I know it has been done, just don't know to what success.

Ths could posssibly be a somewhat contentious discussion with many "opinions" but no experience so let's see if we can get some good lively discussion on this.

BTW, I am planning on replacing the lifelines with 1/4" Dyneema also.

Thanks,

Bill
TRINITY

Re: REPLACING STANDING RIGGING 2 years ago #1301

• hayden
Bill:
One of the reasons for going with 1/4" Dyneema would be to save weight aloft up in the rig or overall. For an IP, which is a cruising boat that many people load up and store tons of weight, it seems that going with 1/4" Dyneema would not really be needed. Yes, it may look really cool and fast, but the total weight saved would seem to not really matter. I am always in favor of factory replacements so when I replace my standing rigging I will order exactly the same wire and same wire size from SecoSouth.com which is the OEM for our rigging.

Which way are you leaning and what do you think is best?

Hayden
Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

Re: REPLACING STANDING RIGGING 2 years ago #1303

I am not ready to replace standing rigging just yet. But I am also considering going synthetic.
I am planning to get my feet wet, so to speak, by replacing the lifelines.
So I have done a lot of reading lately. I am not an expert by any means, but I thought you might enjoy reading some of the same material I have been pondering.

Here's what I've learned:
Work-hardened materials like Dynex Dux and PBO are probably better than regular dyneema for standing rigging on most yachts. PBO is expensive. Dynex Dux is reasonably priced and easy to splice.

This is a new material for sailors, though it is already popular with commercial fishermen. More and more yachts have been rigged with the Colligo system, or with other line terminators, but there is still a lot to learn, and many riggers are not familiar with its characteristics.

The Loos gauge settings in your IP manual will no longer apply, because the product is less elastic than wire cable. Colligo says it has tables and conversion table for tension, Loos gauges, and converting "for wire" settings to "for dynex dux" settings, but I have not yet found them on the Colligo website.

While the stuff is not as elastic (it takes more force to stretch and spring back into shape) as wire, it is more prone to "creep" (permanent elongation). So Colligo sizes Dux according to the working load and length of stay, to keep creep to 1/10 of an inch per year -- it assumes a working life of not more than 10 years, for which it assumes 1" stretch would be acceptable. This means winding up with Dux MUCH stronger than the wire rope it replaces, to handle the same working load.

Finally -- keeping the rig in good tune MIGHT BE even more important with dynex dux than with wire, simply because it is less elastic. This means that, if the rig is too loose, and the tip of the mast slops around in high wind, the shock load imparted when the windward rigging finally goes taught is worse with Dynex Dux than with wire.

There are some very interesting old discussions at boatdesign.net, involving a rigger with an engineering background who is slowly won over by information from Colligo's owner (also an engineer), an interested amateur boatbuilder willing to perform backyard experiments, and the international offshore racing committees (when they changed their rules to allow dyneema lifelines).

The biggest caveat, other than UV susceptibility (which they are still studying), seems to be that you might need to pay closer attention to keeping your rig in tune.

The owner of Colligo marine is convinced that Dynex Dux is the best synthetic available for rigging, and has put a lot of effort into developing hardware to make that possible. SecoSouth does not advertise any experience with synthetic rigging, but a growing number of riggers have training experience under their belts.
  • Page:
Moderators: CapnBlaine
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds